About Me

My photo
Gatineau, Québec, Canada
SharePoint Microsoft Certified Professional/Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist, Software Engineer, Program Manager @ Transportation Safety Board of Canada

Thursday, January 6, 2011

TSB's Road to SharePoint 2010 [Part 2]

I have finally came to the conclusion that the Database Attach upgrade was the best way to go. Our current solution is running on a 32-bits infrastructure, and going would an in-place upgrade to SharePoint 2010 would mean having to do both a hardware, and a software upgrade on the box. We have already been able to prove that the Database Attach option was working as expected, and therefore this blog serie will strictly focus on this upgrade methodology.

Couple of things I've noted when doing the upgrade:

One of our content database (we have a total of 12) was added correctly to the farm, but when looking at the Manage Content Database screen in Central Administration, its status stayed at "Upgrading" for days. Removing it and re-attaching it back to the farm didn't fix the error either. Looking at the Upgrade log, I saw that SharePoint complained about Excel Services not being available. That automatically ring a bell that there must have been something wrong with the Entreprise features on the farm. What I ended up doing to get this fix is have it first removed from the farm. Then in Central Administration, under the "Upgrade and Migration" section, I opened the Enable Features on existing sites, and selected the option to enable the entreprise features on all sites. This enabled the SharePoint 2010 Entreprise feature at the Web Application. Once that was done, re-adding the content database worked like a charm.

Then, the second hickup I encountered was that another of our content database gave an error at about 27% progress when trying to add it to the farm. The error returned back was the following:

"Could not find stored procedure 'dbo.proc_LogChange'."

Reading different articles on the web, this error seems to indicate that some content in the DB was still being actively used. I simply deleted the database and restored its backup copy and voilà, I was able to add it back to the farm successfully.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Nik,

    Saw your tweet about PowerShell IDE's. I would be interested to find out what your PowerShell needs are as well as what you want from an IDE. I'm the PowerGUI Product Manager, and I'm conveniently co-located with you here in the Ottawa-Gatineau region (I work from home in Kanata). Once you've given PowerGUI a look, drop me a line to let me know what you think. Poshoholic hotmail com.

    Kirk out.

    ReplyDelete